3.3K views

My concern in writing this is to help older people shopping for gutters as well as first time home buyers and people with young families trying to save time.

1) Get a quote (or quotes) for a conventional gutter first from a reputable local company.

2) Find out the cost to clean that gutter annually.

3) Then find out Leaf Guard costs.

For me it was $2600 for conventional, $200 a year to clean versus $7600 for Leaf Guard after they started at $11,000 and then gave all sorts of discounts to work it down. Seems like disingenuous salesmanship, but that's a different discussion.

The difference was $5000. That means at $200 a year to clean it was going to take 25 years until Leaf Guard started to pay off! That's assuming I didn't borrow money.

I have a finance background so I calculated what $5000 would be if I invested it in the Vanguard Index 500 assuming the 10% annualized return generally accepted as what would be a "market" return over a long period of time. I also subtracted $200 out of this annually.

What I found is that I would have clean, conventional gutters and approximately $18,000 in a Vanguard Index 500 fund! Please, understand this was just a quick exercise, but realize that your kitchen, bathroom, college loans, 401k, etc...are all better places to put this money.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Nov 24, 2014.

Comments

I am getting a bit older and was looking at some options to make my home more maintenance free. I saw an Ad in the Sunday paper for leafguard gutters 99 cents for install.

Sounded really good so I had them come out and price new gutters. Here are my observations.

1. Product only comes in one size and the gutter is MUCH smaller than the 6" that I currently use (about 1/2 the size) and I suspect that it will be less than sufficient to capture water and will overtop constantly.

Product is a very thin aluminum simply a machine formed extrusion.

3. Hangers are a black plastic that most likely will deteriorate after a few years exposure to the elements.

4. Fasteners for the "black plastic" hanger piece are zinc plated.

Cost is totally outrageous at 30 bucks per foot. Good thing they were only pricing materials as installation was 99 cents LMFAO 6. My local gutter guy charges 3 bucks a foot fab and install. My guy would replace my entire system with open 6" gutter for around 1200 bucks.

LeafGuard priced at $11,500.00 Does anything else need to be said?

These people should be stopped from scamming and preying on the elderly. Reminds me of the Danny Devito movie Tin Men...........

Excellent! This is the best most logical review I have seen in a long time.

Well said sir.

If more people analysed options like you we would all be in better shape. Thanks!

Dude, your awesome. Thanks for posting an honest review and analysis.

Greenville, South Carolina, United States #952437

In fairness to those who read this. Full disclosure.

I sell a different brand, but similar. What the individual is not accounting for are the long & short term costs in terms of years. Inherent rot that most neglect with indifference causes damage to the rafters of the roof that make the cost of a premium gutter seam cheap. Don't think about the Very real statistics of ladder accidents yearly caused by people cleaning out thier gutters.

Don't think about all the wildlife that's takes residence in them. And don't ever think about hiring "Chuck in a truck" to clean them out! Insurance is ungodly expensive. If he doesn't have it and he falls, there goes your homeowners premium!?

Their are systems today that are NOT "gutters". They ARE leaf and debris management systems. I work for a company that uses the best available. We honor our lifetime warranty, have picked up the phone every time for over 40 yrs and hold an A+ rating with the BBB in SC, GA, and AL.

And we work in the Appalachian mountains. This is something we are very knowledgeable about

to Jonathan Linn Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States #953446

With all due respect, your livelihood depends on people not wanting to clean or hire crews to clean their gutters. The point of the post was to help assist and a thorough and thoughtful analysis process and determine what was the best financial choice for them.

If done with thought and care, people can find an insured and bonded company to clean gutters for $1 an linear foot as I did. Or the purchase of iRobot's gutter cleaning robot could be another option.

I think we can be too quick to fall in love with the idea of low or no maintenance and I was just trying to save some people who may not plan to be in their homes for the long term to think about whether or not they want to pay for something that will not have paid for itself by the time they have moved.

As for pests, a previous home with LeafGuard had mice nests in the downspout (as any system could) and wasps nests in the gutter due to the protection, until a good rain drowned them. I'm thinking open or none are the way to go.

Leaf and debris management systems?

Seriously? That sounds like a load of fecal matter. People want water management systems also known as gutters. If you have no reason to manage water, you have no need for a gutter.

I'm also always curious about the BBB rating companies advertise too. My understanding is that a company pays the BBB to become a member and get a rating. What incentive does the BBB have to drop your rating? You are essentially their customer.

They really have no authority to make you do anything, just the threat that they will drop your rating. If that occurs, wouldn't a company just cancel their membership and stop advertising that they are a member?

Atlanta, Georgia, United States #912183

THANKS. Notice that website doesn't give any idea of cost.

Your post was crucial. No chance I could spend over $1000 for gutters.

Thank You... After reading your review, I cancelled my appointment with them...