Beaverton, Oregon

Update by user Jun 11, 2013

My response to comment below from Beldon Roofing:

Why would we lie? Let's all three take a polygraph.

It's that simple. Our story has never changed. His / Yours changes every time you send us an e-mail. Poly will solve this.

Why don't you insist upon it from your employee? You yourself reneged on a verbal agreement. Why? Because I wanted an apology?

It's pretty obvious who's telling the truth here. He lied to steal our money. You seem to be allowing that from your employee. That says volumes.

Let's just take a polygraph and be done with the he said she said routine. What are you afraid of? What is your employee afraid of? I'm not afraid.

I know the truth.

I was there. You weren't.

Update by user Jun 03, 2013

Beldon Roofing in San Antonio, Texas had been in negotiations with us because they own LeafGuard NW. At one point they agreed to a full refund and to come and remove the gutters.

They reneged on the agreement. Why? Because I wanted an apology. Isn't that crazy?

At first I wanted Ed Schmeltzer to admit what he did but they said he wouldn't agree to that. So I asked for an apology. The next thing I know I'm getting threats from their lawyer. They even tried to negate mediation in favor of immediate arbitration!

As if they have the right! We have every right to mediation. Unbelievable. I now believe this is a trickle down from the top company-wide thing.

They are in full awareness of what Ed Schmeltzer does to make the sale. Apparently they're OK with having their salesmen outright lie to customers in order to get their money. They themselves lied to us. This company is corrupt through and through and should be held accountable.

This is Dateline material. If we end up in court we will win. A polygraph is all that is needed to prove we're the ones telling the truth. You'll see.

Stay tuned to Dateline. And if anyone else wants to share their nightmare with LeafGuard NW / Beldon Roofing, let me know.

Original review posted by user May 02, 2013

Ed Schmelzer, the salesman with LeafGuard NW in Tigard, Oregon, promised us a full refund if we didn't like the product. No questions asked.

The day they installed the gutters I called to complain.They placed industrial sized downspouts right in front of 2 picture windows. They completely destroyed the aesthetics of our home. They also left sharp metal objects & glue strewn all over the yard & roof. We have animals so this concerned me greatly.

They said they'd move the gutters. My husband flew in from LA where he was working but Ed never showed up. The 2 workers didn't know what to do to solve the problem so left. Today, a week later, I notice a long piece of sharp metal hanging down from the roof in front of our living room window!

After numerous unanswered calls and e-mails, the company calls & tells me they will not honor Ed's promise of a full refund. So it's clear this Ed Schmeltzer lied to us to steal $20,000.00 from us! Needless to say we want our promised refund.

If they damaged the roof, we want compensation for that as well. If LeafGuard doesn't stand behind its promises we'll have no choice but to contact the Attorney General.

Monetary Loss: $20000.

• Ed Schmeltzer
  • LeafGuard NW in Tigard
  • damage to roof
  • aesthetics ruined

Comments

Update

The arbitration hearing between Mr. DelValle/Ms.

McCarthy and LeafGuard Northwest, was held on September 11, 2013, in the Portland market. Both parties had the opportunity to present their side of the issue, along with all evidence each had to back it up.

We received the arbitrator's ruling on September 17, 2013, in which they stated we never offered the 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back they had alleged we offered and thus, found in LeafGuard Northwest's favor regarding the matter. This will bring the issue to a conclusion.

LunaTec
@PF

Actually, neither side won. The arbitrator did NOT say Schmeltzer didn't lie. He said he had to go by the signed contract. Other lawyers have told me the same thing. Again, yet another lie by a member of LeafGuard NW's team.

These people are incorrigible. They lie like most people breathe. Unbelievable. LeafGuard NW wanted us to pay their legal fees. That was denied. They also wanted me to take down all the warnings I've posted to help prevent others from making the same mistake we made. That was also denied. (Our lawyer was bargain basement because we already knew how this would turn out due to the contract.)

So all in all we got exactly what we wanted. Except for our money back of course. But then, we're selling the house so we'll get it back that way. I'm just glad I can continue to warn others about the shabby treatment I personally have endured at the hands of LeafGuard NW / Beldon Roofing. Be warned. 87 people, on one web site alone, can't all be wrong.

We would like to respond to the comments made by our customer Robert Del Valle and his partner, Deborah McCarthy. Our sales representative met with the couple on April 11th of this year and presented our estimate to them, showing them our products. They requested time to consider it and indicated they would call our representative the next day, after discussing it. Mr. Del Valle called our sales representative later that same day and said they were ready to move forward and to call to set an appointment to sign the contract. The contract was signed the following morning, April 12th and they issued a $1000 check for the deposit on the $16,519 job contract. On April 15th, our branch production manager met with Mr. Del Valle and discussed placements of the downspouts, which were sold to be installed in the same locations of the current ones. Ms. McCarthy was in the house during this job pre-inspection. Once the pre-inspection was completed, the job was scheduled for installation on Wednesday, April 17th. The job was completed, per contract and the customer paid off the remaining $15,519 balance due via their credit card, that same day. On Saturday, April 20th, our sales representative started receiving communications from Ms. McCarthy, indicating they were unhappy with the aesthetics of some of the downspouts and demanding their money back.

The customer alleges our sales representative offered a money back guarantee if they were not satisfied with the product, once it was installed.

We do not currently have and have never had a Money Back policy. The contract signed specifically states the warranties offered for the No Clog and paint finish. Once we were told of the alleged money back guarantee, we talked to the sales representative and he indicated that he never made any claim of a money back guarantee and then advised the customer we did not have any such warranty and would see what we could do to remedy the situation.

A call to the customer's residence was made by the local branch office, to attempt to schedule a service appointment to relocate the downspout remedy the situation.

The office reached Ms. McCarthy and she was not receptive to any solution and again, demanded the money back. She said she was going to talk with Mr. Del Valle and discuss it with him.

A service appointment was eventually made for April 27th.

Once the service technician arrived at the residence, he met with Ms. McCarthy and offered solutions to moving the downspouts in question. She became very upset and verbally starting abusing the service technician and demanding their money back again. Mr. Del Valle was not at home at this time and once he was contacted that day, he stated he would contact her and get her to schedule another service call.

Since this service call, their demands have only been to remove the gutter system and refund the money.

We have repeatably responded that we have no money back warranty and there is nothing in writing except for our standard warranties. We have made several attempts in resolving this but each time have encountered verbal abuse and demands outside of any acceptable standards. We believe in our sales representative and do not believe he offered any such warranty, which one would think would predominately displayed on the contract a customer would sign.

We do not believe we should held accountable for something not offered. Their complaint is not about the function of the gutter system, but only about the aesthetics of several of the 3x4 downspouts replaced in areas they can be seen through a window. We originally offered to replace the downspouts in question with the same smaller size they originally had on the residence but we encountered other demands, that were unacceptable. We again advised the customer that we would be willing to replace the downspouts in question with the small version they originally had but would not agree to any type of written or verbal apology in something we did not believe was offered. We received a reply still demanding unacceptable terms and conditions and at that point, we rescinded our settlement offer and decided to exercise the contract clause of mediation and/or arbitration and allow both parties to state their case in front of professional authorities. Since then, the customer has gone online to accuse our company of reneging on promises and falsely accuse us of theft. It was stated that we "stole" $20,000 from them. We can only assume they are talking about the contract price of $16,159.

After multiple and repeated offers in good faith to go above and beyond what we feel is our responsibility, we have decided to trust in the legal system and allow professional authorities to listen to each side and judge the facts as they are. Our company has been in business for 67 years and we value our customer base and professionalism of our employees and feel these accusations and demands are outside of professional and honesty boundaries.

We continue to be open to satisfying this customer and have repeatedly reached out to them in an effort to come up with an mutually acceptable solution.

@Leafguard by Beldon, Inc.

Blah blah blah.... Leafguard preys on un-educated homeowners.

Their vicious sales department will convince you that your house is going to rot away if you don't immediately buy their gutters. I've seen it hundreds of times. Then when the gutters fail, which they will, it will take Leafguard months to show up to service them. Read the small print on the back of the contract!!

They basically absolve themselves of any liability, and once they get your money, you'll never get it back. I hope all you poor homeowners that got duped by Leafguard can one day setup a class action lawsuit against this despicable company.

I do know that if you bought Leafguard through Costco, call Costco to complain!! LEAFGUARD HATES THAT!

Hit them where it hurts. They make lots of money through Costco, and the more complaints through Costco the better!

Make BBB complaints!

@Todd Blinn

I agree. Criminals.

Low-lifes. Idiots who have to steal in order to make a living. It'll come back to them. Every single person involved will pay for their unethical behaviour.

Not worried there. Sadly we didn't go through Costco so we can't get our money back that way. Selling the house will though so again, not worried. I did my part so I can let it go.

I did warn others. I did get the FTC and the BBB involved. The FTC is well aware of their criminal activity and have an on-going investigation. BBB can be bought.

Those A ratings are most likely paid for by the company. Live and learn. I now know that BBB ratings are absolutely meaningless.

Yawn. *** people are so BORING, aren't they?